Monday, September 7, 2009

Marriage on the horizon

Trent's dad has been dating a gal for a few weeks now, and he informed us last week that they are getting married. pause...shock... Wow...that is so...well...so.....fast. I swear it just feels like we just finished planning Brenda's funeral, and now we are on to a wedding. (it's only been 5 months) Sheesh!. Talk about switching gears. Her name is Debbie, and she is a really nice gal. (her ring is gorgeous!) We got together tonight with 4 of Debbies kids (youngest one just graduated highschool) to have dinner and meet each other. It was really odd/hard for me to be over at Brenda's house and not have her there with us, and to have another woman there. It's just....different. Not necessarily bad....just different. Her kids are a crack up and very nice, we did a lot of laughing. I found myself having to hold back a gush of tears several times throughout the night. It was just hard not having Brenda there, and I am still grieving. Just two days before Chris introduced us to Debbie, Nathan had my family go to Peach Tree, the restaurant that he went with grandma to, two days before she died for their "grandma" day. He ate the same meal, and we laughed and talked about Brenda. It was a special time. He wanted to play Five Crowns tonight like we always did with grandma, and he even asked to spend the night and play games with Gramps, but Chris and Debbie had some things they needed to do. I felt so bad for Nathan. He got in the van and mentioned how that was the first time in a long time (since Brenda died) that he wanted to spend the night and he probably wouldn't be able to for a very long time. (school starts this week)

Debbie's family seems to be tickled pink that she is remarrying. She has been divorced for 5 years, so they have had five years to prepare...we have had five months. We are excited for Chris, and we don't want him to be alone, and we are happy that he has found someone so great. He is blissfully happy and can think of nothing else other then spending every waking moment being with her, they are so huggy and kissy. He can not wait to get married. They had to push the wedding back to October 10th so her family can come to town. It has been an interesting experience watching a parent go through the dating process...there are some real "special" women out there...yikes!! I pray that I never have to go through that experience of having to date again. I think I'd rather be alone...at least for a good long while. Trent is so awesome...how would I ever find anyone as awesome as him? :)

*deep breath* Life is truly an emotional rollercoaster isn't it? I am so emotional tonight...thus typing this at 1:00 am. At least I had a good long gut wrenching sobbing session...that is good for the soul every now and then right? :) I am contemplating cleaning my carpets while everyone sleeps...might as well do something useful right?

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow. I can't even imagine. I sure hope he's happy and that she becomes a positive addition to the family. But . . . wow.

Ammie said...

Been there. Done that. Call me day or night if you need to talk. xoxo

Anonymous said...

I will tell you that you would not like to be a lone. It is the pits. It is hard especially at night. Sometimes I just cry because it is so hard. So I'm happy for Chris but I know it is quick. It happens quicker for men than female. I hope you will send pictures and that you will keep us update on the family. We love all of you. I'm sending the disk in the next week to 10 days. Watch for them. Let me know her maiden name. I heard she was from here. I hope that Chris will stay close to the grandchildren and Nathan will know that it will be ok. Thanks for the update and hang in there.

HeatherPride said...

Oh my gosh, we went through this EXACT same thing when my mother-in-law died and my husband's stepdad announced a wedding about the same timeframe as your FIL did. It was very difficult for all of us. Some of my husband's family still won't talk to the FIL. It was rough. Hope you guys can find the strength to accept it. I know it's hard.

Tracy said...

I remember when Rick's mom died (7 yrs ago) and his dad called up Rick 3 weeks later to tell of all the women he'd met at the singles dance...and Rick was dumbstruck. His dad remarried [one of the special ones :)] one year after the funeral which still felt soon! The only thing that made it easier was how happy his dad was after being so very lonely. Thinking of you and cute Nathan...

Mindy said...

Ditto to Brooke's comment. Tears are healing, right?

Latisha said...

That does seem really fast - I think you are definitely justified in feeling a little shell shocked. I can't imagine how strange it all must feel. You're doing a great job of being accepting - I've seen it go the other way before and it doesn't benefit anyone.

Trina said...

That's hard adjusting. Kim and I had a rough time. My dad started dating again 3 weeks after my mom passed away. We were absolutely in shock. Pray lots. That what helped me the most. Those men DO get lonely quickly!