Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm BA-aaack!

Whew...I am back. It may be a few days until I am able to start posting about my trip to Idaho. Let me just tell you about one experience that happened Tuesday. Well, it officially started on Saturday when Jonathan started puking and diarrhea...then 8 hours later I started it. It is a violent flu bug that after 24 hours leaves you with no fluids left in your body whatsoever. It was quite interesting to be puking, or wanting to be and having to clean up another persons puke. (I kept having to tell myself that it was not as bad as when Trent and I got this sort of thing at the same time...that was awful!). I was actually able to muster up a chuckle one night as I was laying on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet with Jonathan laying and crying on me. I thought to myself what a funny picture this would make. You could title it, "The Joys of Motherhood" Twisted humor when one is deliriously sick.



Anyways...Tuesday we drove down to Salt Lake City and got a hotel so we could fly out on Wednesday. We met up with my younger brother Scott (Jonathan looks just like Scott when he was a baby...it is almost eery!) and his girlfriend Whitney.


We went to Olive Garden for dinner. I was STARVING! I hadn't had much to eat in the last few days from my puke fest and I was bound and determined to make up for it! We were just given our salad and I was putting my fork down to take a bite when Nathan says, "Mom! I need to go to the bathroom! I don't feel good" Normally I would remind him that he just went to the bathroom right before when we got there, but the look on his face said it all. I jumped up and grabbed his hand and started the mad dash to the bathroom. We made it to the tile floor where the people were sitting in the bar near the restrooms in the front when Nathan projectile Vomited EVERYWHERE!!! Who knew that so much liquid could be in an 8 year old body? It was red (from the strawberry shake earlier) and chunky (from the tater tots). I looked up and apologized to the gagging people trying to eat their dinner as they witnessed this. We continued our run to the bathroom practically shoving a couple of girls. Nathan was retelling the story to someone else, and I heard him say, "My mom told those little girls to "get out of the way!" my son is sick!".

So...it was quite the night. I left the restaurant. My mom boxed up my untouched dinner, and a long night begun of cleaning up vomit and diarrhea in the hotel. "The joys of Motherhood". He finally stopped before it was time to get on the airplane. Thank heavens! It would have cost me 400 bucks to change my flight to the next day. Never thought I would say that I was grateful that he puked in Olive garden, but it was sure better than if he would've started puking on the plane! Yikes!

I am now home. Trent has a violent cough. I was up most the night pressing on his diaphragm to help him cough so he wouldn't choke to death. You can't cough when those muscles are paralyzed. Good times? Can we say...Vacation is over? It is good to be home though. My bed is so comfy. Hope you enjoyed my vomit story...sharing is caring right? I must truly care for you all. :)

14 comments:

Arlyn said...

UGH!! I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering if you were home yet. I can't believe the flair you showed for your final days finale!

Did Sue's family get sick with that?

We have the same old summer cold we've been battling for the last week or so. (Thank goodness!)

Kristi said...

Yes...it has slowly spread through the whole family. My brother got it last night. Guess they are still thinkin about me though. :) I was wondering if we got it from you guys, or gave it to you guys. Glad to hear you didn't get it.

Latisha said...

I loved your story! It truly captured those motherhood moments that we all have. Talk about making memories! Hope everyone feels completely recovered soon!

Jeri said...

What a NIGHTMARE!!! you are obviously a woman of great fortitude...

I Am Boymom said...

I'm so glad you are back in one piece!! Vomit totally sucks and kids vomiting in public sucks even worse, especially when they are yours! I hope everyone is on the mend. Funny how this story is so relatable to soooo many of us. Yer right..."The Joys..."

Brooke said...

Girl, you have a vomit story for every occassion. Keep 'em coming. :-)

It's great to have you back! You've been missed! Hope Trent feels better soon.

Julia Harps said...

I love vomit stories! he he. I have a few myself. Like when me and all my sisters (5 of us) threw up in the room we all shared at the same time. My mom must have had so much fun!
the mud slide looked awesome. That's living life!

Kristi said...

Oh my Julia! Syncronized vomit? How on earth could that happen? Your poor mother!

Youngquist Family said...

You inspire me! I shall never complain when me or my kids are sick again. And now that you've documented your experience...neither shall you. Way to endure!

Rebecca said...

Kristi - you're supermom! I guess I'm grateful that when my dog gets sick it's in the privacy of my home. . .Home everyone is good as gold now!

Your bro looks just like you!

Ammie said...

It's the water not the flu! Our kids (and us) would get sick every time we would visit Poky. Every time! It was awful. Finally, someone suggested that we only drink bottled water while we there to see if it made a difference...no more Idaho mystery flu! Walmart is our first stop once we cross the state line to buy water. Trust me. I don't know what's in that water but it makes us out of staters sicker than doggies! Even the reverse osmosis water there made us sick. Buy bottled!

Kristi said...

Man Ammie, that is so crazy! I'll have to remember that one. I think this really was the flu, because I passed it on to the rest of my brothers family, and since we have been back, we passed it to someone else. Didn't know that kids could be contagious for up to 2 weeks! oops.

Anonymous said...

Ready for a vacation from your vacation?

Kristi said...

You have no idea Jim how true that statement is. Good to be home though.