Saturday, August 2, 2008

Perspective

Perspective...a word that I have come to personally love. If there is one thing that I have learned from being married to Trent it is how to keep things in perspective. I only have to look at him and realize that my own pity parties and frustrations are minimal compared to what he has to deal with every single day. He amazes me constantly. He is confined to a wheelchair solely relying on others for help, and yet he chooses each day to have a good outlook on life. To choose the higher road and be happy.

Perspective. I rarely lose perspective with Trent as an example to me, however, in referring to my Sanity Saver Post I had lost my ability to see the big picture. I was bogged down by the things that were going on...things that are physically, mentally and emotionally draining and kept going on and on. It seems that when you lose perspective, you start to see all the bad things in life, and you get deeper and deeper into your own pity party. I was in this frame of mind when I was reading another blog and ran across this post about Janis, a mother of 8 yr. old twins. A woman who survived breast cancer a few years ago, and recently found out that it is back with a vengeance in her bones. She is hoping for a few more years with her boys. Right then and there, I had a huge dose of perspective. Everything came back into focus for me. My heart ached for Janis, and I realized that no matter what I have to deal with on a daily basis, I am healthy. I still get choked up trying to imagine having to face this reality like Janis, that my boys would soon be without their mother. I have thought of her often and I have said many thankful prayers for all the gifts and blessings that I have in my life.

My perspective is back. Thanks Ali for sharing about your friend Janis. My heart and prayers go out to her.

8 comments:

Brooke said...

I often use Trent and you as an example of perspective too. And not just the "be thankful I can walk" perspective. I usually think of you guys when I'm trying to park in a low-ceiling parking garage, and I'm thankful that I'm not trying to park The Beast. :-)

I Am Boymom said...

Funny that you just commented on my blog. I have been feeling less than charitable after my tough couple of days and woke up today feeling like maybe it was me blowing things out of proportion. Then I come read your post. Yeah, I guess in the eternal perspective my last couple of days were really not as bad as they could have been. I cannot imagine what Janis must be feeling, the thought of me not being here to handle all of this stupid crap for my kids is unbearable. And you!! I am ashamed to admit that sometimes I forget that you have a completely different set of circumstances to deal with, until I see your family pic. Everytime I look at that pic I wonder what kind of challenges you all face on a daily basis that I never even have to worry about because I take my family's health for granted. Thanks for the great reminder that there are so many difficult situations out there and at the end of the day, an unconcscious den mom and a crappy utility company are really only annoyances. And thanks for offering to take Den Mom down in a headlock...I would've taken you up on it a few days ago!

Julia Harps said...

the ward (church not mental health facility) I am in right now does not provide me whith very many options of good friends. My UCLA friends are the best. Sooo it's good to have you back reminding me how fun it is to have refreshing people like you around even if it's only in cyberspace.

Kristi said...

Well Brooke, I am glad that you are able to park in low ceiling parking garages. The beast is really picky when it comes to those things...it is so ginormous! You remember. Seattle was the worst...we could hardly park anywhere.

Boymom...let me know if you ever need my headlock services...I am the queen! heh heh All of our circumstances are so different aren't they? I hear of someone elses problems and think...I wouldn't want to trade that is for sure.

Julia...I hear ya on the friend thing. I made a lot of good friends throughout our school experience, and I am enjoying finding all you guys after all these years. Glad to see ya haven't fallen off the deep end or anything. :)

Miss Hope said...

Thank you. The one thing that can send me into a tailspin is the thought of not being here to love and raise my children. I thank God all the time that I am.

I'll pray for this family you've mentioned.

cherlyn and family said...

My goodness what a great perspective on your life.

Ammie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ammie said...

You always amaze me! I needed that. In life (and especially here in LA) we all tend to get caught up in things that don't seem to matter that much in the big scheme of things. The most important things in life are not the things that can be purchased at a fabulous store on Rodeo but usually the things we take for granted the most. You've inspired me to be grateful and to think about something other than myself. Thank you!