Thursday, April 23, 2009

Care to dust anyone?

My friend was over a while back and we were sitting in the living room talking. She was telling me of this wonderful place that she likes to go. She was describing where it was at, but I just could not wrap my brain around it. I am so geographically challenged. So she leans forward, puts her finger on my coffee table and begins to trace out the directions.....in the layer of dust. As she is talking, I am thinking to myself, "Man...how did there get that much dust on my table? And when is the last time I dusted? A few days?....no...A week? Possibly a couple of weeks? I can not even remember the last time I dusted". She keeps drawing, and drawing a pretty detailed map. I can see it perfectly because my table is dark, and there is so much....dust! Wow...that is embarrassing. She finishes her sketch, and we keep talking as if nothing happened.

After she left, did I immediately go and dust that table? No. I thought about it a lot though...does that count? I did learn a few things though. 1.) I have a cool friend who didn't even bat an eye at the thick layer of dust on the table and 2.) If I know that someone is coming over, just swipe a little cloth over that one table to freshen up the room a little and make it look as if I am the Happy Homemaker. :)

8 comments:

HeatherPride said...

Oh, sorry to laugh but that is hilarious!! The same thoughts of horror/embarrassment would have been going through my head. Hey, if you ever come over to my house I'll let you draw designs in my dust. That will make you feel better, huh?

Brooke said...

Girl, you are my definition of Happy Homemaker! You've got the "Happy" part down better than anyone I know. And frankly, many of us take the "Homemaker" part a bit too seriously. Do your kids love to be at home? Does your husband enjoy coming home after work each day? Do friends feel welcome & comfortable there? Yes! So you're a Homemaker.

BTW - what was the wonderful place that she was describing? Did you ever figure it out?

Tracy said...

Hahaha. That is awesome. Your friend sounds very cool. You could come over and draw a landscape on top of my piano the way it looks today...and yesterday...and last week... :)

Miss Hope said...

Love this post! Mostly because now I don't feel so bad! I had a friend and her family come in to visit last week for Spring Break and I did everything but dust!!! I think that's because I kind of hate to?

My children now accuse me of making them do all the chores I hate- like washing dishes and dusting.

Mindy said...

That is the definition of true friendship, don't you think? People who want to draw in my dust are welcome, ANYTIME! :) And I agree with Brooke, ditto, ditto.

Julia Harps said...

you could start making dust art to add to the decor in the room. Then people will start to do it at their houses too!

I Am Boymom said...

LOL! I once had a friend ask me what kind of crops I was going to plant on my entertainment center. I didn't get it. Then she pointed to the dust..."looks like the north 40 over here. Watcha plannin' on growin?" Good thing I like her and good thing I know what her kitcehn looks like most day or I would have taken it personally. I HATE dusting becuase in the Arizona desert you can dust and 2 hours later it looks the same. Sounds like you have good friends. And it sounds like I would be very at home in your house.

Wills Family Blog said...

Yes you are a HOME-AKER I have known that for years! :)
I am sad we missed you in Pocatello. We are just in Kimberly if you are ever this way again and just want to pop in.