Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Piano Man

Nathan has been in piano a few months now and it has been quite the process. I can understand my mothers frustrations with me and my whole piano experience a lot better now (frustrated in the sense that I was an ideal child, who was so compliant and did whatever was asked of me, including practicing the piano every day, heh heh). The other day Nathan was practicing his piano, with such a cheerful heart because he LOVES to practice, practice, practice (payback time for all the flack I gave my mom growing up about practicing), and as he was playing I asked him to point to the note he was playing. He could not point to where he was at in the song. I had been wondering what was going on, because anytime Nathan would start a new song, it was like pure torture, (and I mean torture, it would take him forever to figure out a note, he would lay on the piano bench...yadda yadda) until he got to the end and heard how it sounded, and then he could figure it out. He hears a song, and then can play it. All these months of piano, and my son can barely read notes! He is so clever, I did the same sort of thing though, and I am sure my mother is LOVING this whole situation. (she didn't play the piano so I fooled her much longer) Nathan can be really good at the piano, "if" we can survive this whole process. I am pretty stubborn so I will win this battle. :) Here is a video of him playing the "Indian Song". It brings back the days of the Pocatello High Indians. Oskee Ow ow!

8 comments:

Brooke said...

Bravo! WooHoo! Huzza Huzza!

I can see him now - playing at Carnegie Hall and thanking his dear mother for all her loving encouragement as he was learning to play.

(Or he'll be playing in some seedy bar and spending all his tips on a good therapist.) :-)

Arlyn said...

That was great! (Even if he didn't know his B's from his E's.) Daniel wants to learn the piano and I keep putting him off. There just isn't enough time in the evening to add one more thing!

Mindy said...

Your little "Piano Man" is a great performer! We are all fans here. Henry kept asking for "more song" to dance to so we watched your clip about 15 times.

Your patience will pay off if you stick to your guns (no mercy!)! The church needs pianists! The thing that worked best for my family was that my parents told us we could quit piano as soon as we could play all of the hymns in the hymnbook. You could tell when one of the siblings had HAD IT when you heard "The Morning Breaks" getting plunked out on the piano. Funny thing, though...by the time you make it to "My Country 'Tis of Thee," you actually LIKE piano!

There are two free cents from an in-the-closet piano teacher. Love you!

Kristi said...

Mindy, That is brilliant! That is totally why I am fighting the fight because we totally need pianists in the church and missions. LOVE the idea about having to play all the hymns in the hymn book. I am going to use that one. Thanks! He'll be thanking me some day...maybe. :)

Tolman said...

Wish Mom would have pushed me into piano. Regretted it everyday of my life. (Mission, Church, orchestra concerts, etc.) You can bet that each one of mine are in Piano Lessons, Love to hear them progress and play.

P.S. He sounds awesome!! Poky High, Poky High, Poky High!

Gina Q. said...

The next "piano man"! That was great =)

sister friend said...

Kudos to Nathan. It sounds like the playing the piano by ear genetics have been passed down. I remember the day that dad put a hymn book in front of me and asked me to play him something. He was all excited because I was doing so well in piano lessons. I couldn't play it. I was terrified. The gig was up baby. So he had me start over with Jenny Frogley's brother in law. He was hard core man. There was no foolin him. But I am grateful for it now. Shayla had her first piano recital two weeks ago. I was so proud. I do know what you mean about payback though. There are moments that I wish I were deaf. You know how you are listening to your child practice and there is that one note they keep missing over and over and over and over again and you actually begin to pray that they will fix it before you loose your freaking ming. Well that is what I think eternal damnation must be like. I am still waiting for the voice from heaven to say, "you have endured this long enough my child, your sins are forgivin." Sheesh, I wish!

sister friend said...

That's suppose to say freakin mind.