Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Going "Green"

Now that Jonathan is crawling around, my conscience has turned to more "kid" friendly and "environmentally" friendly cleaning products. I have been pondering this for a while, and decided that I would make the change for the health of my family and if it helps out the planet? Why not? My friend told me that she uses vinegar to clean her wood floors. I thought to myself..."Vinegar can actually be useful? AND kid/environment friendly?", so I gave it a try today. I dug around my house looking for some vinegar. One always has a random bottle in their cupboard, that you buy thinking that "someday" you will need it. Well..today was the day. I dusted it off and got to work scrubbing my floors. It seemed to work pretty well, except that it has a NASTY smell. I kept thinking that it would die out a little, but it continues to live on. You really notice it as you walk out and come back inside. Pee-uu! If this is what environmentally friendly smells like? NO thanks. I decided to go online, and do some research on vinegar. Why on earth would anyone want to keep using this stuff, when it makes your house smell like a truck load of rotten cole slaw has been dumped in your living room? One thing I read said, "Don't worry about your house smelling like vinegar, the smell goes away after it dries.." yeah right, It's been 7 hours now, and it still stinks. And then I read on and learned a valuable word. A word that made the whole universe come back into alignment. What is this word? Dilute... Use 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 gallon water when cleaning vinyl floors. Oh. That would have been helpful. Didn't think about diluting the gallon of vinegar. Dilute. One word, that makes all the difference.

10 comments:

Arlyn said...

Kristi! I can't believe you used full-strength vinegar! Is that smell going to be gone before I get there? I've got two big bottles of vinegar in my food storage...mostly for cleaning purposes...should I ever decide to clean anything.

Kristi said...

Not sure if it is ever going to go away. I think it is a little less today? Or maybe I am just use to it now. :) Never a dull moment around here.

Arlyn said...

Well, I'm glad for that. I don't like dull friends and I NEVER visit them! :)

Brooke said...

We are in the middle of a pretty cool science experiment. We put an egg in a bowl filled with vinegar. Within a day, it had completely eaten away the entire shell. So now we just have the egg held in place by a thin membrane. I hope the vinegar didn't eat away at your floor.

I'm with you, though. I'm all for being "green" (although I really hate that term - it makes me think we're all supposed to be either nauseous or jealous). But not if it's going to smell bad, taste bad, look stupid or cost way more.

WaMommy said...

Love your blog too, Kristi! That's hilarious about the vinegar. I do stuff like that all the time.I recently bought new laundry detergent and have noticed that I have to run the 'rinse' cycle about three times before I can get all of the soap bubbles out. Just read the bottle and saw the 'concentrate' word there. Aye!

Kristi said...

I have looked at my floors for any signs of discolorization, or holes that have been eaten through. So far, so good. Who knew? (I guess all of you guys knew). Still stinky. Cooked some fish tonight, so it smells like Fish, AND vinegar. Quite the combination. Sure you are all jealous. Wish I could You tube the smell.

Tolman said...

I hear that's a delicacy in some countries, Fish and Vinegar. Well, look on the bright side, at least you don't house clean as a profession! :0)

Arlyn said...

I'm glad I'm not pregnant! Your housr is turning into quite the stinker!

Trina said...

Kristi, I woke up this morning thinking about "the Lee's". Don't know why. I decided to google you all and I came across this. How crazy is that? You have an adorable family. Tell Trent hi. The last time I saw him was in Portland at my wedding almost 18 years ago. I don't remember the last time I saw you. Probably hanging out with Kim or something-maybe 20 years ago? Holy Crow I'm getting old! My daughter freaked out at your mom and son with their head wounds. Lol. I'm going to try to set up one of these blogs, what a great idea. Have a good one.
Trina Browning (Anderson)
teiners5@yahoo.com

Youngquist Family said...

Kristi-Wow, it's been a long time! I just spent the last half hour reading through your blog to catch up. It's great to hear about what you've been up to. And I even teared up reading about the recent baptism. And you're in Washington? I don't know how you got to that 'homemade site', but I'm glad you could find me through my comment. I love blogs (and started one of my own about the same time as you, but I need your email to invite you-jennie_youngquist@hotmail.com). For me it is therapy after going through withdrawals from leaving L.A. I actually found Kelley's blog through a comment she had made on Janae Downey's blog. Anyway, the homemade blog is a blog of my family's where they post their latest scrapbook creations, of which I have no contributions, since I'm not made that way. I think I may have been in one of the pictures. My sister told me you had left a comment and it's so good to hear from you. What years were you at UCLA? Everyone else's time there runs together as we were there before and after so many spent their time there. (It was nine years for us-'98-'07)This is way too long. You can catch up on me with my blog...we're recently relocated to Utah. Take care, Jennie