Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Right Stuff

Nathan and I were riding in the car, spending some "quality" time together. We were at a stoplight and listening to the Highschool Musical 2 CD. I was feelin my groove thang comin on, so I started movin and a groovin. The shoulders shruggin, head struttin forward and back, and side to side, arms start doin some special moves. I am really feelin the music and struttin my stuff. In fact, I get most of my dance moves from the New Kids on the Block, "You got the Right Stuff" video. If you need a refresher course, here is the link to this song. Good stuff...Real good stuff. Timeless...simply timeless.

Nathan says to me, in the middle of my performance: "Mom, you're embarrassing me (pause)....in Public"

So I did what every good and decent mother would do. I started REALLY exaggerating my moves...the car was really rockin now. Nathan is thoroughly embarrassed, but he starts to laugh, and starts movin and groovin along with me. His groove looked more like he was having a seizure, not like my polished New Kids on the Block moves. He is only 8. He has plenty of time to be as cool as me...the Dancing Queen.

10 comments:

I Am Boymom said...

Hawhaahhaahahahah!! I can just picture that whole scenario! I have had the same response from my 8 yr old, which makes me wonder if he has ever seen himself dance? Reminiscent of "The Jerk" or Elaine on Seinfeld. And by the way...New Kids? I guess I give you credit for being honest! (Kidding!)

Kristi said...

I know!! New kids on the Block. Puts an age on me eh? You would be surprised how often that song gets in my head. I love that Seinfeld episode of Elaine dancing. Heck, I love all the episodes of Seinfeld...."not that there's anything wrong with that". "Serenity Now"!!

WaMommy said...

Hilarious!!! My kids haven't reached the age of being embarrassed by me yet, but when they do, you bet I'll whip out some Madonna "strike a pose" moves while driving to school. :)

Gina Q. said...

That's a good one Kris! Nathan will look back, when he has kids and does what you did and think "I learned this from my mom! She's pretty cool" =)
Nothing like making memories!! Keep it up!!!

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing I don't have kids, or they'd have to deal with the facts that

a) I BLAST the music in the car; and

b) I sing loudly, lustily and excruciatingly off-key.

And their early musical education would consist of Thin Lizzy, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Supertramp, The Cars and The Clash, among others.

Life's too short not to marinate wholeheartedy in utterly wretched, morally unforgiveable music.

Kristi said...

I went to an REO speedwagon concert, I think I was in the 6th grade? It was my first concert, and I swear that I got high from sniffing all the pot fumes in the Minidome arena. It was a really fun night though. Nothin like good music and a good education about drugs. I saw a lot of different pipes, and rolled up cigarrettes, alcohol, making out, etc. Wow..it was a lot to take in my innocent 6th grade mind. If my parents only knew! Yikes.

Gina Q. said...

I was at that concert as well!! Gotta agree, there was a lot in the air that night!! =)

Autumn said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so funny!

Kristi said...

Gina, you were at that same concert...oh yeah..you were the one throwing your bra up on stage. I remember now. heh heh

Gina Q. said...

Was I the one doing that? Wow! I guess I can't remember that far back =) It was pretty smokey and loud in there ;)
At least thats all I was throwing up there! Probably why they don't have concerts in the Dome anymore ;)
Good thing you didn't know me then ;>