What the?? I was totally freakin. It scared me, and then to see a bullet/beebee hole? I should have looked around, but I packed it up (after taking pictures of course) and left the house early for a meeting I had to be at just in case there was a gunman on the loose, or a disgruntled past boyfriend or something. Trent tells me later that our backdoor neighbors, a really cute grandma/grandpa-ish couple, shoot bee-bee guns in the yard. Huh? I guess he saw them shooting at a blue jay last summer. (I have to agree with them wanting to "get rid of it", or at least scare it away, this particular blue jay is a stinker, and starts squawkin at the crack of dawn) So, now what do I do? What if we go over there, and they deny it? Then what? It's going to cost us about 400 bucks to get it fixed.
When Nathan got home, he was delighted with our new window. He was like, "Wow..we have cool "expensive" glass now. He was referring to the stain glass type window. I told him it's cool and all until someone walks by and it shatters and cuts them all up. Then he proceeded to tell me that we should get all our windows like that so when robbers come and try to break in, they'll get a "special surprise". The surprise of getting all cut up. OK...such a boy thing I guess. I wouldn't put the words "surprise" and "shards of sharp glass" together, but whatever works for my 8 year old. It is pretty I must say.
Any suggestions on how we should handle this situation? Call the sherriff? Go over there and ask them if they were shooting their bb gun? Shoot their window out so we're even? :)

18 comments:
Call the police! They may look like a sweet old couple, but you never know what dark secrets are lurking behind the barrel of their BB gun. Kinda like this story:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,366324,00.html
I wish someone would shoot out my back slider. I'd love to replace it with some nice french doors, especially if someone else's insurance is paying for it.
Yeah...thanks for the "link" Brooke. Nothin there. How funny...the first thing Trent said when he saw it was, "Do you want some french doors?". That didn't even cross my mind. I was only thinking "WHO is going to pay for this!"
Hey Kristi - thanks for takin' a gander at my blog...I LOVE your profile, you are hilarious! Also, who did your background design? You?!! How!! It is awesome! I am adding you to my BoyMom Blog list! As far as the neighbors go, this is a toughy. I think the first thing I would do is call the police and file a report, just so it is on record for insurance purposes. Then, I'd ask the police to go address the issue with the neighbors. I guess it depends on how well you know them. I have neighbors that I would address directly and I have neighbors that make me wonder what their mothers did to them when they were young to make them so feisty (read: nasty and mean and to be avoided at all costs)! Good luck.
Oh, no! Funny story though! haha
{Well, for me anyway!}
I guess I'd call the police if it were me- then go from there.
I opt for the last choice. Blast out their windows, but ask to borrow their BB gun to do it. Then it would be even! mwahahaha!
I'm such a chicken...calling the police seems so "scary", or wimpish? My neighbors are pretty nice, but you know old people and money, they could get mean real quick I guess. :) I wonder if I could approach them, and if they deny it, I could tell them I am calling the Sherriff then because I dont' feel "safe" on my deck anymore. Good thing we werent sitting out there. Nothin like getting your eye shot out.
Arlyn, you are so evil. That thought would never cross my christian mind. heh heh. (oops, guess I already mentioned it in the blog. guess I ain't so nice after all).
We were literally just getting ready to pack the computer for our move, and then we saw your email. It was lots of fun to read your blog. I thought I remembered that you guys moved to Washington. That's great. We'll be moving to the Seattle area this summer. I'm with you on the A&E version of Pride and Prejudice being one of the best movies ever, and who doesn't love the Twilight series. (OK, Tim read it and made fun of me the whole time for enjoying it so much. Regardless, I'm planning on buying The Host, ASAP when we get back to America. Sadly, it's not available here yet.) Thanks for contacting us. It's really nice to hear from you. OK, time to pack up the computer for real. The moving company comes tomorrow morning. (By Tanzanian time, that will probably around 3 in the afternoon. Hakuna Matata)
Kristi, my thoughts:
One, look for the "smoking gun" ... in this case, a pellet or BB. If it cracked the glass without passing through, it should be someone close by in your yard.
Two, NICELY go to the neighbors and ask them if they were shooting in their yard at the time in question. Consider that it's entirely possible that they're unaware of what they did, and that they may be horrified by what they did.
Three, if you go to the neighbors and they deny it, say nicely: "OK, I guess I'll make a police report about this. They may be over here to talk to you, but since you say you had nothing to do with, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about." See how they react to that.
Before Step Two, however, consider whether it's possible the projectile could have come from anywhere else. Much like blood spatter patterns on "CSI," you can a lot by the pattern of cracks in your glass about the direction from which the projectile must have traveled. Do a little amateur forensics first.
Now, Now, You should not think about shooting their window out. To wrong don't make a right. You silly. I'm not sure but that is scarey. My sister's glass table broke for no reason yesterday. It was really scary when we heard the noise. I will have to put a picture on my blog soon. It was cracking a long time after it broke. Hang in there.
Hi Kristi! We were just wondering where the Kunz family ended up... how wonderful to hear from you! I have to say I enjoyed reading your blog, it is very entertaining! Was your baby born last July? We had four boys before we had our baby girl, she is so much fun! David Fife is our Bishop and the Trumans are also in our ward. We miss all our UCLA friends... thanks for getting in touch with us! JaNae
The SAME thing happened to our sliding door when I was a teenager. Actually, not the same thing--the door suddenly shattered exactly like yours, but there was no point of impact. Total mystery. It popped for days and then started to bowing dangerously outwards into the room (scary). We finally just blamed the SUN. Apparently the heat and angle of the setting sun coming through the glass each day became too much for it and it cracked.
If I remember right, we ended up carefully knocking it out with a broomstick, like we laid a sheet on the floor and carefully pushed on it until it fell. I guess the reasoning was 'better to knock it out than be knocked out by it?' Yikes.
Maybe you could duct tape sturdy plastic over it on both sides and just remove it? Even tape on the glass like they do when they want windows NOT to break...what do I know? Wow I'm long winded tonight. Good luck!
Just read my long comment and my suggestion didn't make sense. I meant--remove the ENTIRE door with that thick plastic sealed around it. I'm thinking mattress bag thick. Then if it falls apart it's all contained and it's harder to get cut.
Watch me lose sleep tonight trying to solve this problem. Oh wait! You could... or what if you...
Tracy, that is a good idea. I hadn't gotten to the part of "how on earth am I going to remove this" part yet. The glass is starting to ripple a little, and it creaks every now and then. I better get to it, before it gets to me I guess. Nathan is just itchin to knock the whole thing down. Better do it while he is at school.
Kristi!!
talk about long time no see. how good to hear from you. YOu have the cutest family. I see you have 2 boys now. awesome. I love this blogging because I find old friends like you! you are cool. I am going ot add you on my friends list. hope you don't mind. thanks for finding me.
I hate sticky neighbor situations... (I have my fair share, since my little munchkins aren't happy unless they are ito some troubel or another.
If it were me, I'd do the "hey, have you guys seen anyone strange lurking around? or anyone out shooting guns in the area? Our door..." I agree that they likely have no idea that they had a stray BB and they will feel terrible about it (and they will be more careful in the future...)
If they aren't responsible (or won't accept responsibility) - call the police to file a report, then you can claim it on your home owners insurance.
And in case you are wondering... My son WAS NOT in the neighborhood on the day in question - and he DOES NOT have a BB gun!!!
I have run across 4 people from our UCLA days. I love it! It is so nice to see comments from old friends, and current friends, and new friends for that matter. I am "feelin the love" all around today.
So, I'm just catching up on blogs while I wait for Scott. We're in the Bahama's and we were getting ready for bed and about to start a movie when Scott got a call on the radio, stating they have a (medical) 'situation'. Hope it's not too serious. Anyway I know your post was from a few days back. I wondered what happened. Did you talk to your neighbor? And P&P (as I call it for short) is my favorite movie too. Guess what I'm reading while we're here? Scott got me the Host for mother's day and I saved it for our trip. Scott makes fun of me for reading and I just can't summarize it to him in a logical way. But it's about as crazy as the others and a good fast read.
Post a Comment