Saturday, June 28, 2008

Show me some strawberry love

I am so domestic. I actually made homemade strawberry freezer jam today. Domestic Diva right here....You can start calling me Betty. It has been a few years since I have made jam (2002), and it has taken that long to get over the "traumatic" experience. I had never made jam before and had no idea how many strawberries you need to make jam. We went to the U-pick place and started pickin. We picked 30 lbs of strawberries. Yet...somehow...it didn't look like very much. So then I proceeded to buy flats of strawberries. 30lbs, AND 13 flats later (yes I said 13!!) I was headed home to make jam.

All you "Betty's" out there are shaking your head right now because you know that I bought an insane amount of strawberries. I had no idea! On the back of the pectin box it told me I needed 4 pints of strawberries. Huh...how much is that? Oh boy...1 pint is about 2 cups of strawberries. My eyes scanned the mounds and mounds of strawberries and realized that I grossly overestimated. No wonder why the workers at the strawberry patch were looking at me wierd as they were helping me load up my car. I kept saying that I needed more and more strawberries cuz I was makin some jam.


My daunting task of washing and cutting all the stems off of the strawberries, mashing, boiling....boiling some more seemed like it would never end. It was a freakin nightmare! Good thing we had a freezer in the garage because it literally filled the thing up. Today I bought ONE flat of strawberries and this is how much it made.

No wonder it has been 6 years for the strawberry trauma to wear off. 13 flats +30 lbs=nightmare. I feel like I worked through some issues today. I have conquered the jam. I am once again feelin the strawberry love.

11 comments:

Arlyn said...

Hey! I'm just impressed you didn't let the mountain of strawberries go to waste! I bought ONE flat the weekend of Conference and by the time I could get to them, 1/4 of them were bad.

Kristi said...

Strawberries go bad so fast. I am almost thinking about buying another flat and making some more. Almost...not quite there...but almost. We'll see

WaMommy said...

Kristi, that is hilarious!! I've never made freezer jam before and am heading to pick strawberries this week!! Thanks for keeping me from making the exact same mistake! :) How much would you recommend I buy/pick??

Kristi said...

Hey Kelley,
I emailed you the answer...not sure which one was your email...I sent it to 3 different ones. :)

Kim said...

Boy, you really take this food storage bit serious....30 Lbs.

That's enough for what, Maybe, Oh I'd say 2 yrs. supply for family of 15.

Your jam looks Awesome!Nice Job.

I Am Boymom said...

Laughing with you, not at you. I did that once with apples and ended up canning not only apples, but apple butter and apple sauce. We don't do apples much these days.

Anonymous said...

I can so relate to your story. Except with me it was not food but plants. Long story short- I ended up in bed flat on my back (old back injury) for two days after planting. My eyes are always bigger than my stomach...even with non-food items!

I just found your blog and love it!

Kristi said...

Ya know Kim...the 30 lbs of strawberries were just the ones I picked. I just added up the total poundage of strawberries, with what I picked AND bought and it totalled (drum roll please) 190 lbs. No wonder I was burned out. That is more than I weigh! (barely..but hey...it is still more!)

Kristi said...

Welcome Amy! Good to have ya. I am not a gardener AT all. I bought some plants when we were getting our house appraised...maybe 20 plants, and I'll never do that again. My yard is all bushes, no annual flowers or nothin. I can enjoy every elses yard. Oh...I do have one flower out front that my friend gave me, it is still in the pot, and is sitting my my front door. It literally has two red flowers on it. Looks lonely next to all the green shrubs I have out there. :)

Anonymous said...

Now I've got that damn song from "Waitress" looping through my brain.

Kristi said...

Whoa there nellie...watch the language, my 8 year old might learn a few new words from reading this, because we all know that he has not heard ANY bad words at elementary school. :O heh heh
I have not seen that movie yet, I have it in my Netflix Que. I just listened to that song though...boy..that really does stick in your head. It is sweet. It fits right in there with all the music you know and love...Thin Lizzy, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Styx, Supertramp, The Cars and The Clash. And now..."Baby don't you cry, I'll make you a pie....."