Wednesday, June 4, 2008

I got gas


We own a 1997 Ford Econoline van. I know...I know. I feel like one hot mama when I drive this thing. I own the road when I am in this beast. It was quite comical when we lived in West LA while Trent was going to Law school. We were literally surrounded by BMW's, mercedes, lexus, rolls royce, you name it...they were everywhere. And right in the middle of all this, was our lucious Ford Econoline handicap Van. I can feel how jealous all of you are arent' you? It's tough being me sometimes. (heh heh). I remember being at a stop light in Beverly Hills, and I had a bunch of bugs on my windshield, and I did what any responsible human being would do. I turned on the wipers and squirted a bunch of wiper fluid. All of a sudden I hear all this vulgar language next to me, at least I am sure it was vulgar, because my window was up so it was muffled. I look next to me, and there is this guy in this gorgeous convertible BMW and I am literally soaking him with all my wiper fluid. It was kindof funny, at least to me. I hope it didn't ruin his leather seats and Armani suit. :)

Anyways...I bought some gas today...or should I say that I had to practically sell my first born son to afford some gas today. My card automatically shuts off at $100. That should be enough right? Not even close. It didn't even get it to 3/4 a tank. *sigh*. When the wind is at our back we get about 8 miles to the gallon. No more joy ridin around here that's for sure! Every 4 or so days when I have to go and fill up our van I have to do the thankful chant. "I am thankful that I have a van. Many people dont' even have that."

11 comments:

Arlyn said...

Oh, MAN! That hurts! Too bad you can't get that thing to run on natural gas! We'd all be able to help you out on that one, for sure. Baked beans, anyone?

Kristi said...

HA! Ha! Ha! That would work REALLY well in our family...who needs beans? We don't need no stankin beans around here. :)

WaMommy said...

It is painful to spend so much on a gas guzzler, isn't it?!! We had a blue (okay, so maybe it looked a little purple) Econoline until about a year ago that we bought from some interesting characters in Southern Utah that got about 9 mpg. We bought a new Suburban that gets about 14 mpg and I am thrilled about that, which is funny b/c 14 mpg is nothing to brag about. The funny thing is that people miss seeing me drive my blue/purple Econoline!!! "Someday I'll be cool again," is my mantra... :)

Autumn said...

That's pretty fuuny that you squirt the convertible guy! I think it's funny too!

I'm happy to see I'm not the only mom driving a BEAST around. I feel relieved at this news, Kristi! haha
I drive a 2004 Dodge Ram Van! It seats 9. If there were 3 rows of benches it could seat 12 but the back row is the only full bench- and thank goodness!

And I know how you feel about the gas -sheesh!! It's a killer on the budget.

Anonymous said...

So, on a pragmatic level, how does this curtail your daily choices?

"Let's go out to X restaurant."

"No, let's go to Y to eat ... it's 3.2 miles closer to home."

What are you and yours deciding NOT to do based on the price of gas?

Brooke said...

You're a good-looking chick. Stick out that thumb and start hitchin' rides. Or maybe you could juice up Trent's wheels, attach a sidecar, and get around on battery power.

Personally, I'm thinking of becoming a hermit. These days you can order anything online - groceries, clothes, movies. Seriously, between Amazon and Netflix, I could do just fine without ever leaving my house.

Cheri said...

That's funny! I love all these comments. Made me chuckle.
We have a gas guzzlin van and spent almost a paycheck filling it. I'm good with the being a hermit thing. I can do that. One neat thing in our school district is that they do lunch in the park. All kids 18 and younger get a sack lunch for free. The park is 1 block from my house. It's great...the kids eat, play and mom takes a nap. Saves gas and eating out. Gotta love it!~

Kristi said...

Wow, it surprises me that other people have humongous vehicles like me. I don't feel so alone in the world. :) Hermit-ing sounds great! And I wish our parks had free lunch around here. WE'd be there everyday.

Ammie said...

I remember that! Too funny. Remember when you saw the naked, homeless guy taking a bath in a Bev Hills fountain? Good times.

Gas is well over $4 bucks here...even at Costco. At some of the more she-she places it's over $5. Yikes! I've been trying to not let my tank get past the half tank mark so I don't have to fill up an empty tank. Plus, I'm more than a little bit paranoid that I may show up to get gas one day and there won't be any. If I have a half a tank that could at least get me out of the city in an emergency.

Tracy said...

Haha, "she-she places". And Ugh. Next time the gas pump tops out at $100 for me, I'll think of you and feel thankful that my Suburban tank is more like 5/6 full... We too have toyed with the idea of getting a more economical Tracy run-around car, but then, where am I running to? Costco, the grocery store, picking up kids...I'd have to get a roof rack or pull a trailer to get it/them all home. And holy cow! Trent's bus knockdown? I can't believe that. Glad he's okay.

Kristi said...

Ammie! I totally remember the naked homeless guy in the fountain! How could I ever forget...even if I wanted to, it is forever engraved on my brain. I love it that you remember that story! What a riot. I am still laughing about it.