In my quest to become green, I have learned a couple of valuable lessons. I bought some powdered soap for my dish washer. It was simply called "planet". Wow..pretty powerful. It must be powerful soap. I was practically moved to tears in the store envisioning how our planet would live on a little bit longer as I made these simple changes in our household. It seemed to clean OK, but it always left an "environmentally friendly" layer of white powder on my dishes. Huh. That can't be good. I ended up either re-washing them (thus using MORE water, defeating the purpose of saving the "planet"), or rinsing them off. Not very cost effective, or time effective, let alone 'pain in the butt' effective. Now as for my washing machine. I bought some natural liquid detergent. "Seventh Generation" was the title. Does that mean that 7 generations after me are going to be living in a better world because I use this detergent? I must be mindful of my great, great, great, great, grandchildren. Cool. The first batch I did, Nathan put his clothes on and said, "These stink!". I assured him that it was just a new "natural" smell that he would eventually get use to. He brought up the fact that farting is natural and it always stinks. Clever. (I have to kindof agree with him, the clothes did smell kindof funky). My run in with vinegar as a cleaner was not good, so natural cleaners and me don't get along. What is the lesson I have learned? If the lesson is that it is a good thing to ingest environmentally "friendly" white powder, and smell like a white flower & bergomot citrus freak, then going green is OK. I, on the other hand, prefer to smell the familiar scent of Tide, and feel the squeeky clean (which makes my skin crawl as I unload the disherwasher when they feel so squeeky! I can hardly stand it), powder free, dishes washed by Cascade. Hello Tide. Hello Cascade. We have missed you around here. Welcome back.
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Is "green" Good?
In my quest to become green, I have learned a couple of valuable lessons. I bought some powdered soap for my dish washer. It was simply called "planet". Wow..pretty powerful. It must be powerful soap. I was practically moved to tears in the store envisioning how our planet would live on a little bit longer as I made these simple changes in our household. It seemed to clean OK, but it always left an "environmentally friendly" layer of white powder on my dishes. Huh. That can't be good. I ended up either re-washing them (thus using MORE water, defeating the purpose of saving the "planet"), or rinsing them off. Not very cost effective, or time effective, let alone 'pain in the butt' effective. Now as for my washing machine. I bought some natural liquid detergent. "Seventh Generation" was the title. Does that mean that 7 generations after me are going to be living in a better world because I use this detergent? I must be mindful of my great, great, great, great, grandchildren. Cool. The first batch I did, Nathan put his clothes on and said, "These stink!". I assured him that it was just a new "natural" smell that he would eventually get use to. He brought up the fact that farting is natural and it always stinks. Clever. (I have to kindof agree with him, the clothes did smell kindof funky). My run in with vinegar as a cleaner was not good, so natural cleaners and me don't get along. What is the lesson I have learned? If the lesson is that it is a good thing to ingest environmentally "friendly" white powder, and smell like a white flower & bergomot citrus freak, then going green is OK. I, on the other hand, prefer to smell the familiar scent of Tide, and feel the squeeky clean (which makes my skin crawl as I unload the disherwasher when they feel so squeeky! I can hardly stand it), powder free, dishes washed by Cascade. Hello Tide. Hello Cascade. We have missed you around here. Welcome back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Ohhhh . . . you would be flayed and your head hung on a spike in the town square on Bainbridge Island.
I LOVE your mascot, though. He's adorable in his Tide-scented green outfit.
And I completely remember your aversion to freshly-washed dishes. I never did understand it. Do you remember mine? Licking wood (as in Dixie cup spoons). ACK!! Give me plastic, man!
LOL--yes, there has to be a line somewhere! My cascade in the enviromentally vicious packaging ain't going anywhere--but I'll recyle the box.
Brooke, are you saying that I would be voted off the "island"? I am sure that I would have been kicked off long before I threw my environmentally friendly products in the garbage. :)
Josi, I seriously laughed right out loud with your comment. You are right, I do recycle my "hazardous" planet destroying products. That has to count for something right? :)
I am not green. I can't afford it. I am frugal, though...to a point. And I don't really clean my house that much so I don't need a ton of nasty chemicals (though I do have a few favorites). And anyone could eat off our floors. They'd even get a choice of breakfast, lunch or dinner (although we sometimes have breakfast for dinner so the choices may not be all that great).
"...Farting is natural and it always stinks..."
Love your family. I'm going to be lucky if I can stop laughing at some point today!
I made one and only one foray into the "Natural" life: Got Tom's of Maine toothpaste. Put it on my toothbrush. Brushed my teeth. Yelled "Blllleeeccchhhhhhhh!". Exited Natural Life.
Re: Photoshop Elements- After paying almost $100 I shelled out another $40 for a book from Borders. Remember the days when software always came with manuals?
P.s. As you can tell it's All About Me. Sorry - I love your blog!!! You are very funny! :)
HAHAHA!
Amen! I feel like I'm living in the GO GREEN Meca. I will not give up my cleaning supplies. I will not stop driving my Honda. I absolutely will not use that recycled natural toilet paper! I do recycle. I have a timer on my sprinklers. I've purchased and use (when I remember) cute reusable grocery bags from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. That's as green as I get...I guess it's just not my color.
Bwahahaha.
Going green isn't always what it's cracked up to be!
Didn't Kermit say it was hard to be green, anyway?
I feel much better about my endeavor into the "green" world. Thanks guys. I do recycle (most of the time, we'll get into that later), but green is definitely not my color.
Cute photo of your son wearing green.
Post a Comment