Saturday, May 24, 2008
Shades of Gray
My friend Arlyn came to visit for a couple of days. We stayed up late, ate lots of good food, watched tv/movies, did some shopping, laughed, and hung out. We were like zombies though from staying up so late, and then getting up in the night with our babies. I realized that I am getting older. I remember the good ol days when I would pull all nighters and hardly feel it. Those days are no longer. I was standing in front of the mirror late last night, (or should I say Early this morning? 1:00 am) and I noticed something. I leaned forward to inspect it closer. I turned my head side to side and front to back. Could it be? Could it really be what I think it is? nah...no way. Arlyn came in and I asked her if she thought this strand of hair was a GRAY hair? She watched as I turned my head all over, and commented that it didn't change color. Had I had my hair highlighed recently? No. I pulled it out, and lo and behold. It was a GRAY hair? What the?? How can that be? Does that mean I need to start wearing elastic waist band pants and dying my hair a purplish color like the old ladies? What a wierd feeling that I have/had a gray hair? Did I scrapbook my first gray hair? Heck no... but I did the next best thing. I put it in a ziplock baggie and put it in my nightstand. I figured it could come in handy someday. Probably when Nathan is a teenager. I can pull it, "Do you see this? Do you SEE this? It has your name written all over it"...something like that. Wow...I truly am getting older. I kept hearing the "Circle of Life" song in my head last night after I pulled the thing out. Wierd.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
It happens to the best of us! Glad you finally joined the crowd! I found my first one at 26 and blamed it on a stressful undergrad experience. Taped it in my journal. The way I see it, the first one, we can commemorate. The others, we can color! Hee hee.
It could be worse. You could be plucking out big, long nose hairs. Or growing a wart on the end of your nose. Or peeing your pants everytime you sneeze (oh, wait. I bet you already do that after 2 kids). :-)
I'm just here to help you feel better. :-)
I guess I should be grateful that I made it until 35 before my first gray hair. And Brooke, I already do/have all of those things, so the gray hair was that last straw that just pushed me over the edge. Thanks. Thanks a lot. :)
I don't have any gray hairs (because I'm so much younger than you), but I do have gray circles under my eyes from staying up so late! They were great chats though and I loved the visit! Thanks for company, Burgerville, Thai food, laughs and friendship!
You are the BEST!
Just wait until the gray starts turning, yes, WHITE! Who ever invented hair color should automatically be allowed in heaven =)
You make me laugh!
I have SO, SO, SO much gray/white hair I HAVE to color my hair. Seriously it's BAD. I started getting a couple gray hairs in high school- but inly here and there from then on. About 2 years ago they wouldn't stop coming! I feel old!
I started coloring it when I turned 39. Should have started at 31. Now that I have been in the over 40 club for "a few" years and all the stress of this year, its white! Hello hair stylist! Coloring it AGAIN Thursday =) Gotta love it!! No kids tho. I have a mom with Alzheimers that I take care of with my sister and brother in law. =)
Post a Comment