Monday, May 19, 2008

Gardener, I am not

I have been working on the yard in little periods of time. (as long as Jonathan will sit in the stroller while I weed like a crazy lady). I hated to even move the dirt at all in fear that the neighborhood cats would think I was cleaning out their litter box. The dirt was pretty hard, so as I pulled weeds and raked a little, the dirt looked "fresh". I love the look of fresh bark, but I am not getting it this year because I am sick of cleaning up after all the cat poop. (I do not own a cat by the way. In a previous post I told of how I am surrounded by cats, 8 cats next door, 4 cats the other next door, two across the street...etc.) I actually raked up all of the old bark and put it in the recycle bin, hoping that would help. Well, within a 1/2 hour of doing that, I had 4 mounds of cat poop. They saw the freshly raked dirt, and had a hayday. *sigh*.

Anyways...that is not the whole purpose of this post. I have a Japanese Maple tree out front that is so pretty. It is about 3 feet high, and all the branches hang down to the ground so it looks like a big mound of red leaves. I decided to become a gardener/landscaper and trim it up a "little" bit. Well, it is a lot harder than it sounds. I kept going around and trimming a "little" here, and a lot there, trying to get it even. I am sure the neighbors were watching thinking, "just walk away, you'll never get it even". I should have known not to attempt this. I can not even cut bread straight. Every time I go home to visit my mom, she'll yell from the kitchen, "Kristi must be here, the bread is uneven". I now have a Charlie brownish type Maple tree. I finally did walk away after doing some serious cosmetic surgery. Hopefully it will grow back. It'll be interesting to see what Trent says when he gets home. It'll probably be something like, "Looks like you did some yard work today". yup. I sure did.

13 comments:

Jeri said...

Have you tried Cayenne pepper to repel the cats???

I've heard of it multiple times, and just did a google search to verify my memory, and found this link that may be helpful. http://www.thefrugallife.com/catsout.html
GOOD LUCK.
(PS I totally relate to the tree trimming thing - my trees have suffered like prunings many times in the past. Apparently I haven't learned my lesson yet either, I just love to prune:)

Kristi said...

I have tried cayenne pepper, and the expensive powders from Home Depot. I even bought the cat sensors that go off and let out a high pitch sound that is supposed to run them off. I think it worked for the cats that could hear. Maybe the other ones are deaf? Who knows! My constant battle I tell ya. Thanks for the info. I am open to any suggestions.

Cheri said...

I thought of Cayenne pepper too. I'll keep thinking though and let you know if I come up with anything. How annoying that is. I raked all our bark up also but not because of the cats but because we harbor earwigs, ants, and boxelder bugs. I was tired of finding them in my house.
Good luck with the tree. My honey does all the trimming...he scares me sometimes but it all comes back eventually. LOL
Good luck with the tree.

Arlyn said...

Dog. ;)

Arlyn said...

BB Gun :D

Arlyn said...

Cat traps. :O

Kristi said...

LOL!! I have thought of all those things Arlyn. I have even thought about anti-freeze to kill the stinkin things! It is fun to think about, but I could never kill the blasted beasts. You'll just have to hear me complain every now and then.

Ammie said...

Ok, here's the scoop. Our next door neighbor (aka the cat lady) feeds all the stray cats in the neighborhood. I finally got sick of stepping in cat poop so I bought a Cat Stop. It's an electronic device that drives them batty so they won't even come near your yard. You may need two depending on the size of your yard. It took only a day or two to work. Google it!

Also, if all else fails...get a dog. Those kitties won't come within a 100 yards of our two doggies.

Kristi said...

I actually own 6 of those Cat stop things! I think they kindof worked, except for the cats that are deaf? :) I'll dust them off and give them a go again. Thanks!

Arlyn said...

I thought of anti-freeze, too but I didn't want to appear completely cruel! But now you've "outed" me!

Stop and smell the Daisies said...

I remember hearing about something that would repel dogs from the yard, it might work on cats...it was a combination (equal parts) of cayenne, mustard powder, onion powder and Chili powder(if I remember right). They said you can sprinkle it on your lawn and it would keep the dogs from marking their territory, but not hurt the lawn.
Good luck...I don't have pets because I don't want to clean up after them...it is so annoying to have to clean up after someone else's pets. I like animals just fine, that's why I go to the ZOO!

Ammie said...

I also read somewhere that powdered mountain lion pee would keep them away. I don't even want to know how they make that!

Kristi said...

Powdered mountain lion pee? That is AWESOME!! Can I get that at Costco? heh heh! I am still chucklin over that one. LOVE it!