Anyways, during dinner we received a call from Brenda. She informed us that she has Leukemia. pause......WHAT did you just say? "I have leukemia". shock....silence...Brain going a mile a minute. I get off the phone and pull Trent away from the party into the hallway and I start crying telling him his mother has Leukemia. Not something I ever thought I would have to tell someone. We immediately left the party and went to the hospital (leaving Nathan behind to enjoy the festivities). They started some chemo that same day until they narrowed it down to find out exactly what kind of leukemia it is. After taking some bone marrow out, (I am glad I wasn't there to see that procedure, nothing like long needles and drilling holes through the bone...ugh!), they found out that she has Acute Mylegenous Leukemia, a rapid growing cancer in the blood. They gave her a 60% chance survival rate, after very intense chemotherapy. If she did not proceed with the chemotherapy, they gave her about 2 weeks, to maybe 2 months to live. It is very rapid.
Shock...shock...shock... There is no way to accurately describe the situation. I never thought that we would be faced with something like this. It still doesn't seem real most of the time. Trent and I have been to the hospital everyday (not an easy task with a 16 month old, I spend most the time walking the hallways). She started the intense chemo last night, so hell lays ahead of us. She'll be in the hospital for two months they said. And then 6 more months of treatment after that, and then they'll see. Stunned, shocked, alarmed....
I think the hardest part was telling Nathan about it. Trent is very good at talking and explaining things. Nathan cried and cried. He really wants to go and see her but he has a cough, and we know how that in and of itself is horrific for someone going through chemo. You can't even bring fresh fruit in, or anything that would jeopardize their immune system. On the way to church he asked me if Grandma was going to die. Not a conversation that a parent likes to have. Yes...she could die if her medicine doesn't work. And then I proceeded to tell him that none of us know when we are going to die, I could walk across the street and get killed (see...I am not the best at these discussions, the poor kid!). He started to cry in the parking lot. It is so heart breaking. I did end it with the fact that we all will see each other again after we die....that sort of thing. Man...I have had a bad headache for two days. I feel like I am in a fog.
Trents dad wished him a happy anniversary today. We didn't know what he was talking about. November 3, 1988, 20 years since he broke his neck. We had forgotten. 20 years. He has been in his chair longer than he was out of it. Wild concept. I am adding a picture of Jonathan that was taken in the waiting room at the hospital on Halloween. We actually got him to smile. I was tickeling his leg, but we caught it! It's a miracle.

Ghost, goblins, witches...kindof scary. Leukemia. Horrifying.

13 comments:
Wow! Tough night! Please know I will keep your Mother-in-Law in my prayers, as well as you, Trent and the kids. Things like this are never easy to deal with, hang in there!
Man, I'm so sorry! Please know that Trent's mom and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!
Wow Kris, what do you say. I am so sorry to hear about your mother in law. Yeah, we never know what is ahead of us and the trials we will endure. Any disease, no matter what it is, is never easy to deal with. Hang in there my friend! You and Halloween and me and Valentines Day. What is it with holidays?! =)
Wow, talk about two really tough talks to have with your kid, all in one year! At least with the sex talk you had time to prepare yourself.
I really hope all goes well with the chemo treatments and that all of you take good care of yourselves so you can keep visiting!
Y'all are in our prayers.
Oh my goodness, I am sorry. Wow, I'm sure Trent's mom will be so blessed to have you guys close by, but man, what a tough and frightening road. I'll hope for extra strength for all of you these next few weeks and months.
You are so right Mindy...two tough talks. Your comment made me chuckle.
Thanks everyone for your support and prayers. We need em right now I tell ya. :)
your news makes me think about how vulnerable we really are. I will keep your family in my prayers.
Oh. I am So Sorry!! Best wishes. I will be thinking of you. So sorry....
So sorry to hear your news. Hang in there - we'll keep your family in our prayers.
So tough to deal with. I'm glad they caught it-hopefully not too late. I'll pray for Brenda. In fact I'll stick her name in the temple. More prayers are better right? Hopefully Heavenly Father doesn't need her just yet. It's so hard to lose moms.
I'm so sorry Kristi and Trent. Seeing a mother go through cancer is not an easy thing. Our prayers are with you. And remember that the Lord can pull you all through this very tough test.
Please let us know if we can do anything at all.
Wow Kristi. I am so sorry to hear about your MIL. Terribly sorry. I've BTDT ... lost my Mom to liver cancer (very quick) when I was 19 and my dad to brain cancer when I was 23. I am so sorry you have to go through this.
Hugs to you, to Trent, and to Brenda.
Oh wow, I don't know what to say other than it becomes a bitter thing to face how blessed we are to have people we love enough to be heartbroken about. Best of luck, Kristi.
Post a Comment