Sunday, July 6, 2008

Hi Ho Cherry-oh!

It was a beautiful sunday afternoon. Nathan, Jonathan, and I went over to George's (my adorable neighbor) to pick some cherry's. We were in his back yard...there was a slight breeze....it was sunny...it was one of those Anne of Green Gable moments. (until Jonathan started crying in the stroller, and I had to balance his 22 pound body on my hip AND pick cherries...kindof difficult). We picked quite a few cherries. We came home and decided that we (I) would make a cherry crisp. I have never had the experience of pitting cherries before. I didnt' realize the work involved in this little "adventure". I tried to cut the seed out....too long of a procedure...I read that you could use a straw...well...no straws to be found...so I started to squish the cherry between my fingers until the seed came out. Let's just say that it was quite the sticky and juicy experience.

I, once again, overestimated how many cherries one needs to make a cherry crisp. (I am starting to twitch remembering my post about the strawberries) An hour later of squeezing and squishing, I have enough cherries for 3 HUGE cherry crisp's, a big batch of jam (cherry jam? didn't even know there was such a thing), and left over cherries that I have no idea what to do with them. They are currently in the freezer. My Anne of Green Gables moment turned into a lot of work for a lazy sunday afternoon. I have just finished cleaning up after all the cooking I did, everything was sticky. You can rest assured that I am not going to do that again. A can of cherry pie filling is the ONLY way to go.

11 comments:

Mindy said...

But think of how BORING your life would be without any of these domestic adventures! :)

Arlyn said...

Send your extras my way!

Anonymous said...

I would say. I can't believe that you tried to do that with Cherries. However, it sounds really good -
It sounds like you are doing good and I am so glad that you share such fun things on your blog - it sure make it good for me. And your boys are so fun and cute.
We missed you at the Clark Reunion and hope that you will join us soon at another. We had a good time and we had fun toys for the children and good food. There were a lot of people who came that we had not seen for a long time. So try and plan it in to your busy life to come soon. ok. I would like to meet your little guy.
Keep your blogging going I love it!

ali cross said...

So, my questions are: Did you actually MAKE three cherry crisps? Was your crisp any better with fresh cherries?

I'm impressed. Seriously. My lazy Sunday afternoons are spent doing just that ... being lazy.

You, are one heckuva woman!

I Am Boymom said...

You crack me up! I am so glad to know that I am not the one who bites of big chunks and then realizes it halfway thorugh the project! Anyway, at least you finished. Kudos for trying and now you have lots of cherries for something else! Yay?

Kristi said...

Ya know Mindy, you are so right...my life would be so boring without all my culinary adventures...man...you'd think I'd learn!

Ali, I did make a cherry crisp, and a cherry cobbler, AND a big batch of jam. After I spent all the time pitting those blasted things, I was worried that they would go bad, so I had to "sacrifice" my day of laziness for the greater good of the cherries. It was really good though. It was different, because the cherries were sour, so it was sweet/sour crisp. We really liked it. Yum. Not enough to go through all that work again. :D

Trina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trina said...

Too funny. Definitely sounds like something that would happen to me. I told my husband that I won't be canning this year (10 daycare kids and my 5 should explain that) so guess who is? Yup, he is going to take on the task. I'm so excited. Cherries here should be ready next week. Lol. When I was 17 my dad bought me a key chain that said "My only domestic quality is that I live in a house."

Miss Hope said...

I disappoint my mother on a daily basis because I am not as in love with the kitchen as she is. I do what keep the family fed and call it a day! Kudos to you for sticking (ha ha- get it? Sticking?) to it and getting some goodies for your hard work.

Thanks for stopping by my "house". I'll be coming by to visit more often!

p.s. My hubby's Aunt is married to a Kunz (BIG family) out Nebraska way. Any relatives there? I was thrilled to see your last name!

Kristi said...

Now Trina, you know what that means when your husband says that "he'll" be doing the canning right? It still means that you'll end up doing it after he is knee deep into it and realizes that it is a nightmare. I am definitely NOT a canning type of gal, but I love to eat the stuff that people make. :) Keep me posted on how that goes.

Hey Miss Hope,
Ya know, if she spells her last name Kunz, then they are most likely related. It is a huge family. Especially if any of them are from the Idaho/Utah area. They have spread out now. We could be "kindof" related. Cool. Now that we are related...can you lend me 20 bucks? heh heh. teasin

Miss Hope said...

I'll have to see if they have relatives out that way. All I know is it one HUGE family. Overwhelms me as I am from a small-ish family.