Saturday, July 12, 2008

New Toy

I found a way to use my beloved $200 cell phone. (If you are not sure what I am talking about, refer to this post)

When I went to replace the cell phone, I found out just how nice it really was. $200 nice.
Anyways...it is now a toy. Only the best for my precious baby. :) I get the "look" from other parents when I let him play with this cell phone. You other parents know the "look". It is the look where it tells you without any words that you are doing something that goes against the parenthood handbook. Guess they forgot to give that to me at the hospital, cuz I sure get the "look" alot. Maybe I should wear my bra on the outside of my clothes for a day and see what kind of looks I get. It would be kindof comical. I could act all normal, and if anyone said anything I would give them the "look".

This picture was taken at Nathans last baseball game a few weeks back. Yes it was June, and Yes it was Fa-reezing! and we were even blessed with wind AND rain. Nothin like livin in the Northwest. Ya never know what you are going to get.

13 comments:

WaMommy said...

I get the look too, all the time. Especially got it this past week when I let Madeline wear two different shoes to Target because she wanted to.

You guys should come and visit this summer. Kids would have a blast together and Seattle isn't far. Seriously, think about it! :)

Kristi said...

I bet you get the look all the time...especially since you had TRIPLETS!! It would be totally fun to come and visit. Nathan would love to play with all your kids. We are such homebodies though (trent and I), guess the oldness is shining through. :) We have some other friends in Seattle too, we could make a week long trip out of it. 1/2 at your house...1/2 at theirs.. heh heh. teasin.

ali cross said...

Yes, I'm quite familiar with the look.

At least you didn't just throw out your little land-filler there, you kept and made good use of it.

See, you're an environmentalist!

Mark and Maria said...

I do the same thing...all the time! My daughter is obsessed with phones. I give her my cell phone whenever we are in public and she is throwing a tantrum and people are giving me the look to make her be quiet. I don't think they mind me giving her my phone.

Ammie said...

When Bailey (just turned 7!) was a baby I gave him my old phone to play with too. I'd even charge it for him so the buttons would make noise when he pushed it.

I'd get the look al the time when I'd let my kids wear their Superman, Spiderman, Disney princess costumes everywhere! Heck, Bailey honestly believed he was Luke Skywalker for a year or two. Plus, I'm one of those moms who never really cared for the opinions of vocal old ladies at the grocery store. Ya know?

I Am Boymom said...

Isn't it amazing how people make judgements about situations of which they have no clue? I have been on the receiving end of many looks myself, once by a guy who thought it was an incredible waste of money to take my children to Golden Corral. I love to shoot them back a look of my own. And we have 2 or 3 old phones floating around for various make believe games. My kids love them!

Josi said...

Just tell them you're recycling--what have they done today to help our landfills? :-)

Kristi said...

I feel so environmentally friendly now, "recycling" my phone and all.

Ammie, I remember your older kids wearing those type of outfits, and Nathan wore his Peter pan outfit (that you gave him) all the time. In fact he still pulls it out and tries to squeeze into it.

Boymom, the golden coral is an awesome place to take kids. nathan LOVES it. They get to eat all sorts of wierd foods, and drink 10 glasses of chocolate milk, and let's not forget the icecream! I'm the one who always feels awful after going there. I have no self control, so now Nathan will go with his grandparents. I have banned myself from there.

Glad I'm not the only mom who gets the look.

Anonymous said...

I only give "the look" when I spot obvious breaches of social etiquette with moms with kids:

— Indifference to screaming, out-of-control kids

— Allowing them to wallow in obvious filth

— Yakking on a cell phone while the kids are in obvious need or have wandered away

— Do nothing when the kids are blatantly rude to others

— Yanking them hard by their hands or arms; shouting at them

If you can't keep yourself or your kids under reasonable control, then you've earned "the look."

That said, I could give a crap about whether or not they wear the right brand of something or eat the right food or whatever. That's all individual parental prerogative.

Ammie said...

One of the harder lessons I've learned over the years as a parent is that people rarely see a situation in it's entirety. The look is more often than not given as a result of what they are seeing right at that second. Most of us know that if you give into every whimper or even a threat of a tantrum your kid is going to turn into a big, selfish brat. Sometimes it is necessary to let them wail a bit so that they understand that the world does not revolve around them. In doing so innocent people may have to be subjected to the noise (gasp!) but it takes a village. RIght? Also, when I didn't have kids I remember making all sorts of proclamations about the types of behavior my kids would NEVER be allowed to display (mostly because it was so easy to judge those with kids around me). I am here to testify that all of those things I swore I would never allow have come back to bite me in the a** on more than one occasion. I didn't get the big picture until I had kids of my own. You reap what you sew.

Youngquist Family said...

I love the blog layout. It's totally you. The boat is sure cute. Isn't it fun watching the boys get so involved in cub scouts. But it's ture that a lot of the effort goes to the parents. Way to go mom!

Autumn said...

I am the Queen of getting 'the look' with five children behind me. It's never ending.

I can give the look too. Like when I see parents giving their children a bottle of soda! I HATE that!

Kristi said...

Parenting really does open up your eyes. There are so many things that I had no idea about. It is a constant learning experience, that is for sure. It has made me regroup with how I look at situations, because you just never know what is going on in someones life.